Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pleasantly Surprised Twice!

   In May 2011, this photo won the Cliff Edom Photography Award at the Ozarks Writers League. There is a story behind 'Abandoned.'
I told hubby in the summer of 2010 that I wanted him to hang a tire swing in the yard. I explained that I wanted it to be there for the first snowfall. I thought I gave him plenty of notice, but when the first snow came there was no swing. I can only imagine what the neighbors thought when they saw hubby with a ladder hanging a tire swing in the snow. Of course I had to wait till the next dusting before I could get a picture. I took many, but this one was taken very early and captured the sun painting a variety of colors on the snow.

In October 2011, I had the picture and trophy on display at the Ozark Creative Conference in Eureka Springs. Susan Swartwout, Editor of Big Muddy, asked if she could use the photo for the next cover. I was delighted.       I got my copies in the mail today and am thrilled.   For more information about Big Muddy check http://www6.semo.edu/universitypress/bigmuddy


3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Brenda. Hubby did a nice job hanging the tire too, eh? I love the tale of all the work you went to in order to get the one 'natural' picture. Light perfect, shadows subtle. The mark of an artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natural. Now there is a word. I may not go 'all out' when it comes to my own appearance, but my work is a different story.
      Don't you love Lonnie's new nickname for us? Hillbilly Mafia. Cool.

      Delete
  2. Hi Brenda,
    Wonderful news! You have a gift for photography.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete