Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Changes

The radio interview is over and I'm on to other projects. Publisher knows which one. (wink, wink) Now let's hope I can be successful.
But first I want to talk about change.

When I wrote Cleveland the Green Camel, it was written in rhyme. It took a while, but I finally made a great discovery: I AIN'T SEUSS. Once I took the story out of rhyme form, it worked much better. Sometimes a writer has to know 'when to say when.' It is difficult to make changes, especially drastic ones. But to improve the writing, it has to be done.

I was asked, during the radio interview, if the house were on fire which of my printed works I would save. That was a tough one.  I have written hundreds of articles and each is special in its own way. I have written about such a variety of things, I never get bored.
I also don't want to bore the reader with bad writing. That is why changes are necessary. Cleveland is a better book because I let go of the idea I could write like the famous Dr.
I am just me, and that's all I can be.
But I'll be the best me I can,
Just watch and you'll see.

4 comments:

  1. Brenda, seeing we can make changes is a very good thing. You have always done very well in everything you have published and I know as you change bigger rewards will come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do flail around some, don't we, looking for our voice. And, just when we find it, the darn thing morphs and twists and changes on us. I can't wait to see what you say next, Brenda, and what the voice sounds like that says it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with others that it is an extremely useful talent to be able to see when we need to make the changes. The example of rhyme and Cleveland says to me that the rhyme helped you get Cleveland's 'storyboard' worked out, but his voice was the next step. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the wonderful comments. It is very nice to know someone is reading, and agreeing.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete